Each department has a different policy; the best way to work on finding a major advisor is to review the information about majoring in that subject on their website, and then contact a faculty member in that department or the Department Coordinator for more information. Also, consider the following:
- What faculty members in the department do you know on a personal level (from taking a course or attending office hours, etc.)?
- Are there faculty members in the department that work on research in an area of interest for you?
- Are there faculty members in the department that have life experiences that interest you? For example, starting a company or working at a non-profit.
- Discuss your thoughts and/or concerns with your holistic advisor.
- Are major advisors assigned?
- Do I need to find an advisor before declaring my major?
- What makes a good major advisor?